Being an ardent dessert-lover, I’ve always wanted to try my hand at baking and did so a few times, however, a tad unsuccessful. Recipe books and innovative baking techniques off blogs do help, but nothing beats attempting a recipe straight from your mother’s kitchen. If it’s comfort food, it is even more exciting. I tried my hand at baking a very basic Bread Pudding as per mom’s instructions. Here is the recipe. I am sure a first-time baker can successfully give this a shot.
- Milk – 2 cups
- Butter – 150 grams
- Approx 7-8 slices of bread (tear them into small pieces) In case you prefer a healthier option, use whole-wheat bread
- Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla Essence – ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder
- Raisins/Almonds/Cashews (optional)
- Heat milk in a saucepan on medium flame. Add the butter. Stir it until melted. Keep aside to cool.
- Mix sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla essence in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer and then add the milk to it.
- Put the bread pieces in a greased tin. Pour the mixture on top of it.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes. (I use an oven, not a microwave and hence it takes a comparatively long time to bake)
- Voila! Serve warm or try it with a tiny scoop of vanilla ice cream.
– Khorshed Deboo