The idea of enjoying the humble chai has drastically changed in times of tea-tasting workshops, ‘cha bars’ and tea salons. High tea- replete with scones, sandwiches and sushi rolls may set you back by a few bucks.
Here is a list of ten accompaniments, all under Rs. 20 which we found across the city. They can be savored with your umpteenth cup of tea or evening dose of cutting chai.
1. Chicken Pattice (Rs. 8) at Merwan 12/13, Madhav Nagar, S V Road, Andheri (West), Mumbai
2. Mini French loaf Bread (Rs. 6) at American Express Bakery, AEB House, 66A, Mirza Galib Marg, Byculla, Mumbai.
3. Currant Bun (Rs 8) Candies, Mac Ronells, Pali Hill, Next to Learners Academy School, Bandra West.
4. Mawa Cake (Rs 12) at Kyani and Company, Jer Mahal, J.S.S Road, Mumbai
5. Vada Pav (Rs. 7) at Sahyadri Maharshi karve Road, Churchgate, Mumbai.
6. Oat Cookie (Rs. 7) at Candies, Mac Ronells, Pali Hill, Next to Learners Academy School, Bandra West.
7. Kanda Poha (Rs 15) at Kutumb Sakhi, Near S.K PatilGarden, Charni Road, Mumbai.
8. Palmiers (Rs. 20) at Edward Bakery, 62/64, Perin Nariman Street (Bazargate Street), Fort, Mumbai
9. Egg Puff (Rs 10) at Alfa Bakery, Shop No. 6, Parvati Nagar Co-op Hsg. Soc. Ltd., Yari Road, Versova, Andheri (W), Mumbai
10.Omelet with Bread (Rs 18) at Ratan Tata Institute, 39, Hughes Road, Next to Westside, Mumbai
P.S. It’s 1st of March and we cannot wait to lay our hands on the new BBC GoodFood issue!
– Khorshed Deboo